ANTHONY MARTIAL cannot rest on his laurels after enjoying his best season in front of goal.
That is the warning from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who has seen his shot-shy front line score just one goal from open play in five home league games this season.
⚽ Read our Man United live blog for the latest news from Old Trafford
Martial scored 23 GOALS in the last campaign including 17 in the league but has only two so far this season both coming in Europe.
And Solskjaer said: “Anthony last season showed he made big strides, now it's time again to make even bigger strides, to develop more.
“He scored 23 goals last season, which was a big return but every season is a challenge and you cannot rest on your laurels at Manchester United. There are demands on every position.”
Solskjaer believes the lack of a pre-season and the striker's three-match suspension for a red card against Tottenham has affected his form.
Solskjaer said: “Last season he made big strides to becoming the striker we know he can be.
“But he’s no different to any of the other player in that he's not had a pre-season as normal and is working to get to peak form.
“He has missed almost four games after being sent off early in the match against Tottenham and then being suspended.
“So he's lost too much football. But we hope that by continuing to work hard he’ll get back to his best again.”
Solskjaer also pointed out that he has come up against two top goalkeepers with Portugal’s Rui Patricio denying him during the international break, then Sam Johnstone had an excellent game for West Brom at Old Trafford at the weekend.
He said: “Anthony against Portugal showed his qualities as a centre forward getting into positions and Patricio made a few good saves and that might have affected Anthony's confidence.
“His conversion rate has always been good, but at the minute ‘keepers have made good saves against him.”
United face Istanbul Basaksehir at Old Trafford in the Champions League this week having lost away to them in their last group game.
Martial scored in Turkey but United went down 2-1 having won their opening two games over PSG and RB Leipzig.
If they were to slip up again to the Turkish Champions their qualification hopes would be in doubt with the potential for all four teams to be on six points with two Group H games left each.
Solskjaer says they have to improve their levels of concentration to avoid such a worrying scenario.
Solskjaer said: “The level of concentration needs to be better.
“We conceded on bad breakaways and there were one or two other moments when we caused our own problems with our own organisation when we had the ball.
“We need to be more disciplined in our positioning, any lack of concentration and their off and running.”
Solskjaer is hopeful to have Paul Pogba fit after he missed the win over West Brom on Saturday after picking up an ankle injury on international duty.
EastEnders star Jessica Plummer will be crowned Best Actress at the Inside Soap Awards during tonight’s (November 23) virtual ceremony.
The actress — who portrayed Chantelle Atkins in the BBC One soap — departed the serial drama two months ago when her character tragically died at the hands of domestic abuser Gray (Toby-Alexander Smith).
According to The Sun, Jessica was told about her award before taking part in I’m A Celebrity.
She said: ‘This is probably one of the biggest achievements of my career.
‘It was an honour to even be nominated, I’m completely blown away.
‘This year has been a complete whirlwind. Winning this award is the cherry on the cake for my EastEnders journey.’
Jessica was nominated against Coronation Street’s Shelley King (Yasmeen Nazir), Hollyoaks’ Jennifer Metcalfe (Mercedes McQueen), and Emmerdale’s Natalie J Robb (Moira Dingle).
Jessica spoke to Metro.co.uk earlier this year ahead of Chantelle’s final episode. She said: ‘I feel like in real life, the domestic abuse stories that happen, we don’t really hear about.
‘To be able to put it on a platform like EastEnders, where millions of people will watch it, tune in and talk about it.
It’s the reality of it. Maybe it’s not what the viewers want because they like the character, but this is real life. It’s a reflection of real life, and sometimes it doesn’t end nicely.’
If you’ve got a soap or TV story, video or pictures get in touch by emailing us [email protected] – we’d love to hear from you.
Join the community by leaving a comment below and stay updated on all things soaps at our homepage.
Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines for November 21
Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking today in entertainment.
"Euphoria" star Lukas Gage is going viral after sharing a video showing a director criticizing his apartment over Zoom.
Gage, 25, posted the awkward encounter to his social media accounts on Friday, which shows him standing in front of his camera, his apartment visible in the background.
As he's about to perform a scene, a male director is heard telling someone else on the video call, "These poor people live in these tiny apartments, like, I'm looking at his, you know, background and he's got his TV."
"You're unmuted," Gage responded. "I know it's a s—-y apartment. … Give me this job so I can get a better one."
SIA ADDRESSES BACKLASH TO NEW FILM'S PORTRAYAL OF AUTISM: 'I BELIEVE THIS MOVIE IS BEAUTIFUL'
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – OCTOBER 19: Lukas Gage attends the 5th Annual A Cause for Entertainment Benefit on October 19, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Michael Bezjian/Getty Images for A Cause for Entertainment)
When the director — whose identity is unknown — realized his mistake, he told Gage: "Oh my God, I'm so, so sorry."
"Listen, I'm living in a four-by-four box. Just give me the job and we'll be fine," Gage calmly replied.
The director went on to admit he was "mortified."
Gage posted the video to his Twitter and Instagram accounts, writing, "psa: If youre a s–t talking director make sure to mute ur mic on zoom," Gage captioned his posts on Instagram and Twitter.
TIKTOK STAR CHARLI D’AMELIO TEARFULLY RESPONDS TO BACKLASH OVER PERSONAL CHEF VIDEO: ‘I’M STILL A PERSON’
The post garnered hundreds of reactions from fans, as well as a bevy of Hollywood actors who were in disbelief.
Among the stars to react were Patrick Schwarzenegger, Lucy Hale and Wilmer Valderrama, who all applauded the actor for his classy response.
"I dunno how u reacted so well lol," Arnold Schwarzenegger's son said.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
"This … is incredible," Hale said, calling Gage, 25, an "ICON."
"You're a class act. Onward, this director officially has an expiration date," Valderrama wrote on Instagram.
Filmmaker Charlie McDowell tweeted in response, "I can only imagine how bad this director's movies are."
Robin Williams' daughter, Zelda Williams, also took to Twitter to defend Gage. She called him a "graceful, quick-thinking sweetheart," and said he is a "delight to work with, funny, talented and a blast on set."
Gage never mentioned the director by name, nor did he specify what role he was auditioning for. However, "Shameless" alum Emmy Rossum was left irate after watching Gage's video and said she believes she knows the director's identity.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
"I think I know that voice. If it's who I'm thinking, he asked me to 'audition' for him once," Rossum wrote on Instagram in Gage's comments. "But not to read a scene. He said he knew I could act. Just to come into his office in a bikini and do a twirl. No joke. THAT was the ask. My reps said he wanted to know if I was 'fat right now.' I believe I told my agent, 'Tell him no thank you and to go f— himself."
During a virtual audition, an anonymous director insulted Lukas Gage’s ‘tiny’ apartment — without knowing the mic was unmuted! The ‘Euphoria’ star clapped back.
This may just be one of the most awkward auditions ever — to have been recorded, at least. Lukas Gage, known for playing Tyler on Euphoria, was getting ready to audition for a new role for an anonymous director over Zoom, when said director started insulting Lukas’s apartment in the background. Unfortunately, the director’s mic wasn’t muted.
“These poor people live in these tiny apartments, like I’m looking at his…you know, background, and he’s got his TV,” the director started telling another person behind the screen. Tyler didn’t let the director carry on with his shade much longer, though. “Oof. Yeah…I know it’s a sh–ty apartment. That’s why give me this job so I can get a better one,” the 25-year-old actor quipped. “All right, ready?”
A long, awkward silence ensued, until the director caught on to the social faux pas. “Oh my god, I am so, so sorry, Lukas,” the director gushed, but Lukas went on with his joke: “Listen, I’m living in a 4×4 box. It’s fine. Just give me the job, and we’ll be fine.”
This earned a laugh from the director’s associate offscreen, while the director added, “I’m mortified.” Although Lukas appeared to find the “tiny” apartment comment funny at the time, he did share a warning for all casting directors. Lukas posted a recording of the audition to Twitter on Nov. 20, and wrote, “psa if youre a sh-t talking director make sure to mute ur sh-t on zoom mtgings.” It’s clear that Lukas didn’t take the director’s diss that lightly, because he also retweeted a comment from director Charlie McDowell — who recently became engaged to Lily Collins — that read, “I can only imagine how bad this director’s movies are.”
Lukas was featured on four episodes in Season 1 of Euphoria, and his character is at the center of a scandal between Nate, Maddy and Jules that [SPOILER] leads to his arrest. Filming for Season 2 of the HBO teen drama was pushed back due to the coronavirus pandemic, and is now projected to resume in “early 2021,” which HBO president Casey Bloys told our sister site Deadline. However, two specials were filmed amid the pandemic, one of them being a Christmas special that’ll premiere on Dec. 6 — learn more details, here.
Sci-fi writer Alan Dean Foster says Disney has been behaving like the evil empire from his “Star Wars” novels by stiffing him on royalties for some of his popular books.
The prolific author says the Mouse House hasn’t paid him a penny for his novelizations of the iconic franchise since its 2012 purchase of Lucasfilm, the studio that birthed Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.
In an open letter addressed to “Mickey,” Foster said he’s owed royalties for his 1976 book version of the first “Star Wars” film, which he ghost-wrote for series creator George Lucas, and the 1978 sequel “Splinter of the Mind’s Eye.” He’s also missing fees for his trio of novels based on the hit “Alien” films, which became Disney’s after it acquired 20th Century Fox last year, he said.
“When one company buys another, they acquire its liabilities as well as its assets. You’re certainly reaping the benefits of the assets,” Foster, 74, wrote in the letter released this week by the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. “I’d very much like my miniscule (though it’s not small to me) share.”
Foster added that Disney has ignored his agents’ and legal reps’ efforts to collect the cash and pressed him to sign a non-disclosure agreement before even starting negotiations — something no one else has ever asked him to do.
Foster said he could use the money as he battles “an advanced form of cancer” with which he was diagnosed in 2016. His wife is also grappling with “serious medical issues,” he said.
“I know this is what gargantuan corporations often do. Ignore requests and inquiries hoping the petitioner will simply go away. Or possibly die,” Foster wrote. “But I’m still here, and I am still entitled to what you owe me.”
Other authors and “Star Wars” fans rallied behind Foster on Twitter, with some noting that he helped the franchise become the beloved cash cow it is today. Disney raked in more than $4.4 billion at the global box office from the three latest “Star Wars” sequels, and the spinoff TV series “The Mandalorian” helped draw viewers to its Disney+ streaming service.
Disney did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday. But the Mouse House told The Verge that it has been in talks with Foster for more than a year about the “Alien” books and hadn’t previously heard any complaints about the “Star Wars” titles. The company also reportedly claimed non-disclosure agreements are standard for such negotiations.
Mary Robinette Kowal, president of the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, said it was “unprecedented” for the group to speak out publicly about a writer’s dispute with a publisher — especially one as large as Disney.
“They believe they have the right to publish work, but are not obligated to pay the writer no matter what the contract says,” Kowal said in a statement. “If we let this stand, it could set precedent to fundamentally alter the way copyright and contracts operate in the United States.”
JURGEN KLOPP has revealed he has spoken several times with Mohamed Salah following his star man’s positive coronavirus test after he attended his brother’s large-scale wedding in Egypt.
And the Liverpool boss insists he has no problem with the forward as he prepares his depleted squad to face Leicester.
Salah headed home in the international break to attend his sibling’s ceremony.
Footage of him dancing and socialising with numerous guests at the bash quickly surfaced before he later returned a positive test result.
He flew back to Merseyside this week on a private plane despite being ruled out of the games against the Foxes and the following two matches.
Speaking ahead of the top-of-the-table showdown, Klopp refused to criticise his hotshot for not sticking to social distancing rules at the wedding.
He said: “He is probably back today. In close contact and how it always is.
“He's in a good place, feels well. No symptoms. Nothing to say in public about [the wedding].”
Klopp continued: “I was in the summer in Germany, a friend of mine moved his party only because of me, 50 people attended and [then] I decided the last minute not to go.
“That was allowed in Germany at that time, so only one situation [but] in other countries there's more social pressure on you and a brother's wedding is a very special moment.
“I have to say all my players are incredibly disciplined. They really know about the situation, but sometimes it doesn't always work like that. All the rest is between Mo and me.”
Liverpool are without first-choice defenders Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Trent Alexander-Arnold against Leicester.
Captain Jordan Henderson is also out after picking up a groin problem with England.
But when quizzed about the potential return of Thiago Alcantara and Fabinho, Klopp replied: “[They are] both in a good way, Ox [Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is] in a good way. Closer but we will see if close enough for the weekend.”
DREAM TEAM SELECTOR
WIN your share of a huge jackpot by simply picking one winning Premier League team each Gameweek.
But here’s the twist: you can only pick each team once!
West’s “Cha Cha Heels” pays homage to iconic Waters films “Female Trouble”, “Serial Mom” and “Hairspray”
“RuPaul’s Drag Race” alum and Season 11 Miss Congeniality winner Nina West shows off her campy (and slightly deranged) side in her new original music video “Cha Cha Heels,” an homage to the iconic John Waters films “Female Trouble,” “Serial Mom” and “Hairspray.”
The song’s title and opening sequence are inspired by Waters’ 1974 dark comedy “Female Trouble,” which starred pioneering drag queen Divine (aka Harris Glenn Milstead) as Dawn Davenport. All Dawn wanted for Christmas is cha cha heels, and she throws a fit when she doesn’t get them. West recreated the sequence (view the original here), right down to Dawn’s brown bouffant and babydoll nightgown.
The music video then transitions to a pie scene that mirrors “Serial Mom” and a dreamy dance sequence inspired by “Hairspray.” West talked to TheWrap about the inspiration behind the music video.
“I wrote the song last summer and it was really important for me to write something that was distinctly Christmas, distinctly queer, distinctly LGBTQ, and hadn’t really been done before.” West said. “I hadn’t seen a litany of [Waters’] material in pop culture so I was like, ‘I’m going to write a whole song about this scene from “Female Trouble” with Divine wanting those cha cha heels.’”
“I am a gigantic John Waters fan. I am supremely informed by Divine and his aesthetic and style of drag,” West continued. “The subject matter that I write about for sketches or shows or songs are all stuff that I’m really familiar with or things that I really love. So if it’s Disney or musical theater or in this case John Waters, I’m celebrating something that means a lot to me.”
Season 7 of “Drag Race” had a John Waters challenge and at the time, many of the younger contestants and fans didn’t understand how he and Divine were pioneers in queer and drag culture, respectively. Season 10 contestant Eureka even considered played Divine on “Drag Race’s” Snatch Game (she eventually played Honey Boo Boo instead, not being able to draw upon enough Divine references). That’s something West hopes will change with this video.
West in full Dawn Davenport drag (Photo credit: Nina West)
“He is a cultural touchstone that for so many years belonged to an underground cult following that has been distinctly queer. ‘Drag Race’ put him out in the world, but fans didn’t even connect the fact that “Hairspray: The Musical” was John Waters-inspired. It came from his film!”
“John Waters is the king of camp and trash for a reason. He’s the one who made a drag queen, for all intents and purposes, viral,” West continued. “He and Divine he created this world that hadn’t been seen before. Divine was everywhere, at Studio 54 and invading pop culture. As john waters became more famous, Divine became more famous. It’s important for us as queer artists and queer storytellers and queer consumers to remember that is part of our history.”
West shared one final thought about Waters and his influence:
“His voice has influenced artists like RuPaul. If you watch a movie like ‘Starbooty’ [RuPaul’s early underground film], it was clearly inspired by John Waters, hands down. You see that touchstone then affects the life of the most famous drag queen in the world, RuPaul.”
Indeed, RuPaul has repeated referenced Waters throughout Drag Race’s 12-season run.
So will West return for an “All-Stars” season and drop some more Waters’/Divine expertise?
“I would absolutely go back All-Stars,” she answered. “But I would trepidatiously say I had a really solid run and I feel like I did good work. I’m really proud of that work and what I was able to do with my Season 11 sisters. Would I be able to capture that lightning in the bottle again? You can’t go back and be the same thing. That’s not what the audience wants or the artist wants. If I go back, I have to decide that I want to win.”
Check out Nina West’s holiday-inspired “Cha Cha Heels” video above or here.